Our vision is to ensure all pupils have the necessary knowledge and skills in literacy and English to access all areas of the curriculum. Our vision is for pupils to have the ability to think critically and creatively in order to be successful learners, confident individuals, effective contributors and responsible citizens. Communicating clearly and effectively is a vital part of our daily lives and we acknowledge its increasing demands in an ever-changing world. Through literacy and English pupils will gain the skills for life-long learning and skills for work.
We follow the ‘Letters and Sounds’ programme for phonics.
- English Objectives Year 1
- English Objectives Year 2
- English Objectives Years 3 and 4
- English Objectives Years 5 and 6
Do you want to help your children to use phonics in their reading? Are you unsure of the correct way to pronounce some of the sounds? Then these short films will really help.
Video 1 - Phonics Sounds
Video 2 - Helping your child with Phonics
Reading for Pleasure in the Playground
Following the excellent improvements made to our playground by The Friends of Holbeach, on 20th January, the Acorn Book Club spent the day with us, donating over 700 books to help us to create a charming outdoor reading space where children at Holbeach can choose to read for pleasure.
Julia Gwynne (storyteller) led an inspiring assembly for the whole school, and everyone was encouraged to imagine their own ending to the childhood classic ‘Jack and The Beanstalk’. After exploring the fantastic new book collection during their morning playtime, more storytelling sessions were held with Years 1 and 3.
There are now two beautiful spaces allocated to reading for pleasure in the playground. Thank you to The Friends of Holbeach and Acorn for helping us – their support throughout this project has been invaluable.
Watch Reading for Pleasure in action at Holbeach
Click on the links below for some great ideas for reading with your children at home
- Sharing Stories with Babies and Toddlers – Parent Information Leaflet
- Sharing Stories with 5 to 8 year olds – Parent Information Leaflet
- Share A Story – Reading At Home – KS2 leaflet
Capture your children’s imagination and nurture lifelong readers
Bug Club is a whole-school reading programme that helps transform children into lifelong readers. All children at Holbeach have an account for Bug Club, which is a fantastic online reading resource.
- Children can enjoy reading books onscreen and completing fun quiz questions found in the eBooks
- The quiz questions will help the children practise their reading skills
- The Foundation and KS1 eBooks are also audiobooks, so children can enjoy hearing an expressive reading of the story