At Holbeach Primary School, we recognise the importance of Science in every aspect of daily life. As one of the core subjects taught in Primary Schools, we give the teaching and learning of Science the prominence it requires.
The Scientific area of learning is concerned with increasing pupils’ knowledge and understanding of our world, and with developing skills associated with Science as a process of enquiry. It will develop the natural curiosity of the child, encourage respect for living organisms and the physical environment and provide opportunities for critical evaluation of evidence.
At Holbeach Primary School, in conjunction with the aims of the National Curriculum, our Science teaching offers opportunities for children to:
• Develop scientific knowledge and conceptual understanding through the specific disciplines of Biology, Chemistry and Physics.
• Develop understanding of the nature, processes and methods of Science through different types of scientific enquiries that help them to answer scientific questions about the world around them.
• Be equipped with the scientific knowledge required to understand the uses and implications of Science, today and for the future.
• Develop the essential scientific enquiry skills to deepen their scientific knowledge.
• Use a range of methods to communicate their scientific information and present it in a systematic, cross-curricular manner, including I.C.T., diagrams, graphs and charts and a variety of written text types.
• Develop a respect for the materials and equipment they handle with regard to their own, and other children’s safety.
• Develop an enthusiasm and enjoyment of scientific learning and discovery.
The National Curriculum will provide a structure and skill development for the science curriculum being taught throughout the school, which is now linked, where possible to the termly topics to provide a creative scheme of work, which reflects a balanced programme of study.
At Holbeach Primary School, children have regular science lessons– this allows the children to keep the learning fresh in their mind. In Early years, science is taught through the children learning about the world around them in their learning through play. We endeavour to ensure that the Science curriculum we provide will give children the confidence and motivation to continue to further develop their skills into the next stage of their education and life experiences.
The successful approach at Holbeach Primary results in a fun, engaging, high-quality science education, that provides children with the foundations for understanding the world. Our engagement with the local environment ensures that children learn through varied and first-hand experiences of the world around them. So much of science lends itself to outdoor learning and so we provide children with opportunities to experience this where possible. Through various workshops, trips and interactions with experts, children have the understanding that science has changed our lives and that it is vital to the world’s future prosperity.
Pupil voice is used to further develop the Science curriculum, through questioning of pupil’s views and attitudes to Science to support the children’s enjoyment of science and to motivate learners.